Last night, the hubs and I devoured these juicy Sausage-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms for dinner. I’ve typically enjoyed my stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer or side dish, but these overflowing portobellos were so huge, they filled us up all on their own. Spicy Italian sausage, combined with fennel, scallions and parsley created the mouthwatering filling, and a touch of EVOO and sprinkling of salt finished it off. Pair this with a lovely glass of red wine, and you’re in for a deliciously relaxing treat!
Sausage-Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Recipe
- 4 portobello mushroom caps (stems removed, reserved and chopped)
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 1 Tablespoon fennel
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (plus more for topping)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place mushroom caps on a foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the tops and backs of the mushroom caps. Sprinkle salt, to taste, then rub the oil and salt in with your fingers.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of EVOO and add sausage and fennel, cook until browned. Add garlic and chopped mushrooms stems and cook until garlic becomes fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Using a slotted spoon to drain excess oil, transfer sausage mixture from pan to a large bowl. Add scallions, parsley, bread crumbs and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, and mix well.
- With the mushroom insides facing up, fill mushroom caps evenly with sausage mixture, creating a rounded mound on top. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes, until mushrooms are softened and sizzling and sausage mixture has heated through.
- Drizzle tops of mushrooms with olive oil and a light sprinkling of salt. Serve immediately and enjoy!