Whether attending a cocktail party, or hosting one of my own, I always want food that looks as great as it tastes. This Artichoke Cheese Tart totally fits that bill, with it’s golden pops of color…it’s delectable crust that is both moist and chewy on the inside, and light and crispy on the outside…and best of all, the tender, juicy veggies, combined with 3 different types of cheeses to create warm, gooey, bubbly deliciousness…is your mouth watering yet? Because mine definitely is! What’s great about this recipe is that you can customize it, using your own vegetables and cheeses to suit your taste.
Cherry Tomatoes: Great for your skin, packed with important nutrients like fiber and vitamins A, C, E and B6, yet only contain 5 calories per tomato. Find out more tomato health benefits here.
Artichokes: Naturally fat-free, only 60 calories, chock-full of fiber and other essential nutrients, assists in digestion and is said to relieve irritable bowl syndrome.
Leeks: Reduces bad cholesterol, while raising good cholesterol. They are a natural diuretic, which reduces bloating. Leeks also lower your blood sugar, and contain manganese, vitamin C, iron, folate and vitamin B6, but only have 16 calories! Find out more leek health benefits here.
- 2 packages of frozen puff pastry, (1 lb), thawed
- 3 jars artichoke hearts in oil, 10 oz. each
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium sized leek, sliced
- 1 lb of cheese, coarsely grated or crumbled (I used Parmesan, Dubliner Irish Cheddar, and a little Feta)
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 3-4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Roll out each package of the tart pastry on lightly oiled baking trays (both of mine fit on one pan, but you may need 2). Prick all over with a fork, then bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, artichokes, leeks, cheese, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Remove cooked pastry from the oven, then brush all over with the beaten egg yolk.
- Divide the filling between the pastry sheets and spread out evenly. Return the tarts to the oven and bake for a further 30 minutes.
- Slice, and serve hot, or at room temperature, lightly drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.
Eating The Artichoke Cheese Tart
- cut or tear off a slice and enjoy!